5.23.2010

The Relay Farro For Life Salad

This was one heck of a weekend.  Its actually been that kind of May, but it is going to wrap up nicely :)  Friday night, we did the local Relay For Life.  I do it for the many loved ones we've lost, and also in honor of my Dad, who walked a few laps with us this year!  Its also a good excuse to spend some time with good friends I don't get to see nearly enough!  We all bring some food, and spend as much of the 12 hours together as possible.

My black bean & corn salad with tomatoes, cukes, avocado, cilantro, red onion and lime juice is the usual dish (that there is the recipe.  very simple.) but this year, I wanted to use one of my new fave ingredients thanks to my friends at Harvard Pilgrim Health Care and celebrity chef and owner of Rialto Restaurant, Jody Adams.  They've introduced me to Farro - and I love it!  Its very versatile, filling, and really good for you too!

Recipe:
1.1 lb package of Farro (prepare according to package directions)
1/4C Olive Oil
4T Balsamic Vinegar
1C Sundried Tomatoes, chopped
2C Edamame, shelled
3 Scallions, chopped
3T Parsley, chopped
1/3C Kalamata Olives, pitted and chopped
1C shredded carrot

*Prepare Farro according to package directions.
*Add olive oil and balsamic vinegar, mix together well.
*Stir in remaining ingredients

Optional:  add sea salt or kosher salt and pepper to taste.
Optional:  another great suggestion is to add crushed red pepper to taste.  I am going to try that next!

Farro is terrific hot or cold.  And, if you're only feeding a few - freeze the rest in a freezer storage bag.  Whole grains are great to freeze if you want to cook large quantities once, and use it a few times!

Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment