2.19.2011

Cupcakes and beets, tasty treats...

I know, sounds gross, but hear me out.

Today was Maddy's last basketball game, and she, coach, and the team had a great season.  They all learned a lot, and that called for a special little treat.  I was up early (after having fallen asleep on the couch at 9pm!) so I decided to try to make cupcakes from scratch by altering a recipe.  Daring for me, I know!

So I found a vegan recipe and made some substitutions, and un-veganed it by adding an egg white.  Here's the recipe!

1T apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 C skim milk
2C whole grain pastry flour
1C raw turbinado sugar
2t baking powder
1/2t baking soda
1/2t sea salt
1/2C cinnamon apple sauce
1 egg white
1 1/4t vanilla extract

Bake at 350 for 17 minutes.  This recipe made 12 regular sized cupcakes and 12 mini cupcakes.  I love silicone bakeware, but if you don't have it, cupcake liners or some good greasing of the pan will cover you!

Now get this...I even made frosting!  3C of confectioners sugar, 2T (plus a little) skim milk, 1 1/2t vanilla extract, and 1/3C butter.  12 drops of yellow and 5 drops of red, and voila!



But before the stars could have their little cupcake basketballs, they had a great last game! Awesome passing, great teamwork, and lots of baskets!


 Emma totally snuck into the team photo...next year my little monkey!

After the game, I joined Dr. Stephanie Moore at a hockey tournament at the New England Sports Center to show off CPR Anytime and show coaches and families how to do CPR. This was in response to a young player who suffered sudden cardiac arrest at the rink about 2 months ago...and some people were really interested and tried out some compressions. We taught at least 8-10 people how to properly do compressions (after they call 911 and send for an AED!) - so it was a great couple of hours!

When I got home, I was starving. I am in desperate need of some good grocery shopping, so I looked in the fridge and pantry and found Kashi 7 grain pilaf, roasted beets, and goat cheese.  Perfect!

Some Roasted Beet Pilaf with Goat Cheese and some lucky bamboo, and I am ready to hang with some friends tonight!

Unfortunately, I think our friend is making a pit stop at Wholly Cannoli on the way to the party tonight.  That is going to bring me back to what may have been the beginning of my addiction. They have these little Dynamite bites.  Oh my, and dy-no-mite they are.  I swear, in the absence of all other things that make you go mmmmmm, these will do every trick.

I may as well sneak in some sit ups before we leave...there are some things this girl can't say no to.  

Happy Saturday Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment