6.23.2010

Rye Berry Salad

A few weeks ago, I was up with my colleague Katy meeting with the awesome people at Citadel NH (WOKQ, WPKQ, and The Shark radio stations) and afterwards we stopped at Tuttle's Red Barn - the oldest working family farm.  Its a cute farm, and they have some interesting things.  I was drawn to the grain section where we found these things called Rye Berries.

Note: They aren't sweet and fruity!

But, I came up with this recipe and tried them tonight.  I will say that even my dad had seconds!  For him to have seconds of one of my "healthy" grains, it had to be good!

Also, you will see garlic scape in the ingredients list. These were in my CSA share last week from Springdell Farms.  They're also known as spring garlic, or green garlic.  They are kinda cute looking, and mild.  I'm really liking them!

Rye Berry Salad

1C Rye Berries (rinse well)
3C Water
1/4C shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
1/2C dried cranberries
1T orange juice (preferably fresh squeezed)
1T champagne vinegar
1-2T extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic scape, chopped
1 scallion, chopped
Optional: 1/4t sea salt, 1/4 pepper

*Combine berries and water in a sauce pan, bring to a boil.
*Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 45-55 minutes.
*Separately, combine the remaining ingredients and let sit at least 10 minutes to allow flavors to combine.
*When rye berries are cooked, drain any remaining liquid and put in a bowl.
*Add pistachios and cranberries to the rye berries.
*Mix orange vinegarette "dressing" and add to rye berry mixture.  Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
*Combine well, serve warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment