1.19.2011

Dinner Dash

Tonight was proof that I can plan all I want....inevitably, things just get away from you when life gets super busy.  Like dinner, for example.  It wasn't until I was on my way home from the NH office at 5 in the sleety rain that I remembered there were people that needed to eat back home.  

Luckily, my partner in crime was home already and able to take a quick inventory over the phone.  We had butternut squash already peeled and quartered.  We had pearled barley.  And some leftover chicken breasts we baked on Monday to use this week.  Voila - we had a healthy version of risotto waiting to happen! 

However, while it was cooking I gave Murphy a treat...and I'm not going to lie...they smelled really, REALLY good.  But I actually exhibited some will power.  Something I'm not all that good at usually...

So, tonight's dinner dash was a "clucking" butternut risotto.  Easy to put together, especially if you have a tag team effort!

Clucking Butternut Barley Risotto

1T olive oil
1 1/2 C pearled barley
4C low sodium organic vegetable broth
1C water
2 shallots, thinly sliced
3 scallions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 butternut squash, peeled, diced, and roasted (spritz lightly with olive oil, bake on a baking sheet at 400 for 35 minutes)
1-2 cooked chicken breasts, cubed (or shredded rotisserie chicken would work too!)

Heat oil in a medium sized pot
Add shallots, garlic and scallions, cook until translucent
Add barley, broth and water
Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium low heat for 25 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed
Add squash and chicken, cook for 5 more minutes


Turns out creamy and super flavorful without butter or cheese!  And no added salt, other than what is in the broth...so the lower the sodium, the better!

Now, its time to tear the kids away from their post-dinner exercise (Just Dance 2) and get them to bed so I can get to the pool!  My goal is eventually to be able to do 18 laps without stopping.  Right now, I can do 10 pretty quickly with teensy tiny breaks between some of them.  Let's see how far I can go with barley in the belly!

Help!  Is anyone out there training for an athletic event?  What is it and what's your plan?

1 comment:

  1. The Bosom or Bust 5K in May. Plan: Run, Walk or Crawl! :)

    ReplyDelete