3.18.2010

Cranberry Medallion Salad

I've got a new one!!!

As I was mapping out the meals for the week on Saturday and Sunday (too many to choose from makes me a little distracted :)) I came across one in the new April Cooking Light that got its page dog-eared right away.  I saw some ingredients that I could improve, so I accepted my own challenge to make it, and make sure the whole family ate it!

Ingredients:
1T cider vinegar
1T dijon mustard
3/4t Sucanat (substitute for brown sugar)
1.5t minced fresh garlic
1.25t dried thyme
1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1/4" thick medallions
3/4t sea salt (I used less - and it was plenty)
3/4t freshly ground black pepper
2T whole wheat or whole grain pastry flour (substitute for all-purpose flour)
1/4c olive oil
1/4c sliced shallots
1/4c dried cranberries (I prefer unsweetened)
1/4c cranberry juice (this called for cocktail, I used no sugar added - pure cranberry juice)
6c baby spinach
1 pear thinly sliced


*In a small bowl, combine vinegar, mustard, Sucanat, 1/2t garlic and 1/4t thyme.
*In a big zip lock bag, combine the pork, remaining garlic, thyme, 1/3t salt (or less!) and 1/2t pepper.  *Shake it up!  Then add the flour - shake it up again!
*Heat 1T olive oil in a medium sized saucepan (medium heat).  Add shallots and cook until lightly browned.
*Add cranberries and juice, cook 2 minutes or until it reduces to about half.  Reduce the heat and add vinegar mixture.
*Cook one minute, and then slowly add the following:
1T oil, 1/4t salt, 1/4t pepper and whisk together.  Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
*Heat 1T oil in a large skillet (medium high heat)
*Working in two batches, cook the pork medallions for about 3 minutes, or until browned.
*Toss the finished pork with 1T warm cranberry mixture.

*Combine the spinach and pear, and toss with remaining cranberry mixture.

Plate salad, top with pork, and sit back and watch everyone dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment